Wow where has the time gone. This summer has been keeping me busy, so my blog post have been a little more spaced out for now. With summer off and running and vacations on the agenda I like to share one of my favorite granola recipes. We use this in place of buying store bought cereal. When we travel I tend to pack the majority of my food. This is cost effective for my family and provides us with good clean eating food always on hand. Traveling back home is almost a 24 hour road trip. Therefore, I need to have meal ready to go and easy to prepare on the road. Breakfast then is yogurt topped with this homemade granola, mixed fresher fruit, and banana muffins. This makes it easy to eat in the car and something the whole family enjoys. My kiddos can tolerate organic whole milk yogurt or even greek yogurt. I could tolerate dairy in small quantities, but due to recently finding out I have MTHFR (Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase) I have decided to go completely dairy-free except for the occasional goat milk items. I will be sharing more of my story at a later date. For now lets get down to some granola making business!
Grab your mixture of nuts and start chopping away.
Now add in the rest of the dry ingredients: ground flax seed, shredded coconut, raisins, dried blueberries, cinnamon, and himalayan salt. Then stir!
Combined wet ingredients and then warm in saucepan just until melted. I picked this pineapple juice at Trader Joes.
Pour wet ingredients into the dry nut mixture and stir until evenly coated. Make sure the “granola” nut mixture is really coated.
Line pan with parchment paper and heat oven to 300 degrees. Cook for about 45-60 minutes staring every 10 minutes or so. Oh and your house will smell amazingly!
Granola is done when most of the moisture is gone and nuts start to brown. Let cool and ENJOY!
Granola- Paleo Style
- 1 1/4 cup of raw pecans
- 1 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 10 oz bag macadamia nuts
- 1/3 c ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- sprinkle of himalayan salt
- 1 heaping tsp of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 3 Tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- The nuts that need to be chopped up use a hand chopper to chop. I have tried using a food processor, but don’t like it because it chops them too fine for me. Chop nuts until you have a granola like consistency. I buy some of my nuts in pieces so I don’t have to chop them ahead of time.
- Add in the dry fruit and shredded coconut to the mix nuts
- Add in himalayan salt and cinnamon to nut mixture and stir.
- In a small pot melt and mix together the coconut oil, honey, pineapple juice, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the liquid mixture to the fruit/nut mixture and coat the “granola” really well.
- Place granola on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 45 – 60 minutes. Check and stir every 10 minutes until done. * Key here to cook on low heat and slowly as to not burn the nuts and coconut.
- Let cool and store in airtight container.
It is great to serve with almond milk as a “cereal” or served with yogurt as a topping. This is the yogurt I enjoyed with my granola for breakfast! As I am thinking of it, I bet this would taste amazing in my Acai Bowl.