As my first triathlon is quickly approaching ( in two weeks ) I have learned a lot about what my body can handle. It really is never to late to try something new. As I am turning 35 that same weekend I decided to set a goal for myself to complete my first triathlon. I have certainly enjoyed training for it. It takes dedication, but I had a training plan set aside to help guide me along.
Here are some links out to a couple training programs I have enjoyed using. I make tweaks for myself where I see fit for me. I like having something visual so I print them off, make any corrections I need to, and hang them on my fridge. I also like using Strava to track my workout results.
Half Marathon Training Program:
This incorporates interval training (which I LOVE) – Women’s Running
Triathlon Training Programs:
Timex Ironman – Beginner Olympic Triathlon Program
Steve Atwell – 3 month Triathlon Training Program
Women’s Running – 6 Week Triathlon Training Program
Andrew Kalley – Triathlon Training Program
- Sunday: Ran 4.6 miles ( Run 4 minutes: Walk 2 minutes)
- Monday: Swim – 441 yard test swim, followed by 1231 yard swim drills (100m timed intervals and cool down of mixed strokes) Followed by strength and core session: 3 Turkish get-ups on each side. Then Kettlebell Swing Clean and Press- 6 each side, Arm rows- 6 each side, Single leg deadlift- 6 each side, weighted front squat- 6 each side and repeat 3 times thru. End with 5 pull-ups.
- Tuesday: 9.2 mile bike ride to the mountains, Hike 4.4 miles, and 9.3 mile bike home from the mountains – all with a really great friend. Some serious girl time was needed in my books. Then ended with a 2.1 mile transition run (run right after final bike). This day was a heavier day then what I normally would have done, but wanted to be sure I got my transition run in still.
- Wednesday: Swim Drills for total of 1600 yards: Warm-up: 100m swim: 50m kick X3. Then 300m x3 with 30-45 sec rest between each set. Cool down: 100m kick, 50m breast stroke, 50m backstroke, 50m freestyle. End with 15 upright rows.
- Thursday: Rest Day
- Friday: 12 mile bike ride followed by 5K brick run in morning. Evening Ab workout 30secs work, 10 sec rest: Clamshells each side, Single leg bridge each side, side plank dips each side, bird-dogs, V-ups, side plank dips, russian twist, bridge hold, and low plank. Repeat x 1. End with 15 minutes of yoga.
- Saturday: Today would have been a swimming day for me, but I decided to sleep in instead. Plus the weather was cooler this morning so played with the kiddos outside and got some outside projects done. Gearing up for a long run on Sunday!
Make the time to do something for yourself. Do what you love, love what you do!